SAMI - Funding Criteria
Priority will be given to:
- Proposals of merit that assist in the creation of an academic multicultural environment
- Particularly innovative programs
- Collaborative efforts between student organizations across cultural backgrounds.
Additionally, special consideration will be given to:
- First-time applicants
- Applications submitted by Undergraduate students
- Rackham Graduate School and professional school students who first seek funding in their departments and schools. Identification of such sources sought should be included. SAMI will only consider applications of graduate and professional school students after other avenues of funding have been exhausted
- Well-written SAMI grant proposals. SAMI encourages students to submit detailed proposals that address all questions in the application
A low funding priority will be placed on proposals where:
- Food costs comprise a substantial portion of the budget
Funds will not be provided for:
- Non-academic or entirely social events (e.g. balls, banquets, parties)
- Fund-raising activities or charitable events
- Organizations that have a consistent base of substantial funding (e.g. Michigan Student Assembly, Project Serve, University Activities Center)
- University transportation (in accordance with University liability insurance regulations)
- Payment for food items
- Study abroad experiences unless a significant academic multicultural opportunity has been clearly identified
- Dissertation research
- Scholarship competitions, awards, presentation ceremonies and banquets
- Profit-making events
- All recipients must submit a final report within 30 days after the event/activity. Failure to submit the final report will result in the student and/or student organization being ineligible for any future funding.
- All final reports must include a revised, itemized budget, accompanied by receipts or proof of purchase. (Legible copies of receipts are acceptable; original receipts are not required.)
- Awarded funds that have not been used or accounted for must be transferred back to the SAMI account by the deadline date for the final report.
- Failure to comply with any of the above will prevent an individual or student organization from being considered for future SAMI funding.